Historic Sites - Inner Melbourne
Melbourne has many of the early buildings still standing, and there are many prepared walks through Melbourne to help visitors and inhabitants alike enjoy and appreciate our heritage.
Inner Melbourne Parks & Gardens
Melbourne Environs Parks & Gardens
Inner Melbourne historic sites
Melbourne Environs Historic Sites
Art Deco Walk of Inner Melbourne
Another View Walking Trail
Inner Melbourne museums, galleries and craft markets.
Melbourne Environs museums, galleries and craft markets.
ANZ Banking Museum
Exhibits tracing Australia's banking history. Housed on lower ground floor of the 'Gothic Bank'.
Opening hours and contact details see web site. Self-guided tours. Free
380 Collins St, Melbourne
Banana Alley Vaults
Vaulted stores, many tenanted by banana merchants and fruiters, lie beside Flinders Street station under viaduct built to link Southern Cross (Spencer Street) Station with Flinders Street Station. Designed by W. H. Greene. Behind the vaults is the Yarra River, and access to the footbridge to Southbank.
Flinders St, Melbourne
City Baths (1903-4)
Designed by J. J. Clark the original design provided separate men's and women's swimming pools and private baths. The building was restored in 1980 and houses a modern gymnasium, sauna and spa bath. The first Melbourne City Baths were opened in 1860.
For opening hours and contact details see Melbourne City Baths web site
Corner Swanston and Franklin Streets, Melbourne. Short walk from Melbourne Central train station. Take a tram along Swanston Street towards Carlton.
Cook's Cottage (1755)
Yorkshire home of Captain James Cook's parents it has been rebuilt at the Fitzroy gardens. Entry fees apply.
Opening hours and contact details on web site
15 minute walk from Federation Square
Fire Services Museum of Victoria
Located in the old head office of the Melbourne Fire Brigade and opened in 1979 to provide a home and focus for the history of fire fighting services in the Victoria. Exhibits include fire appliances, personnel histories, memorabilia and associated items.
For opening hours and contact details see Fire Service Museum web site
39 Gisborne St, East Melbourne. Short walk from Parliament station.
Flinders St Station (1901-1911)
The site has been in use since 1854, (Architects JW Fawcett and HPC Ashworth). The building, completed in 1909, and particularly it's 'clocks' are a popular landmark and meeting place.
Cnr Flinders St & Swanston St
Forum Theatre, formerly State Theatre (1927-9)
Opened in 1929, the Forum Theatre has an artificial sky, stars, clouds and neo-classic statuary designed by John Eberson and architects Bohringer, Taylor & Johnson. It was built as a mirror image of Sydney's Capitol Theatre. The original theatre was split into two theatres in the 60s.
150-162 Flinders St, Melbourne
General Post Office GPO (1859-1907)
The first Post Office was opened on the site in 1841, the present building was built in three stages. Designed by A.E. Johnson.
Cnr Elizabeth & Bourke Sts
The official residence of the Governor of Victoria is located next to the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne. The only Vice-Regal building in Australia open to the public on a regular basis.
The Hellenic Museum is dedicated to the celebration, understanding, and preservation of the artistic and cultural heritage of ancient and modern Greece. The Hellenic Museum supports the visual arts, film, music, architecture, history, culture and education.
For more information, contact details and opening hours see web site
The Hotel Windsor
Site of some of the adventures of fictional detective Phryne Fisher
ICI Building (1956)
Now Orica House. This was the first building to be allowed to break the 132 foot building height limit in Melbourne. This is one of the first curtain wall buildings, and is an example of the international style office towers.
Orica House was included in the National Heritage List on 21 September 2005.
Click on thumbnail for larger image
1 Nicholson St, Melbourne
Part of the Museum of Victoria. Located in the old Customs House, a collection revealing insights into the settlement of Victoria by non-indigineous peoples.
Flinders St, Melbourne
The Johnston Collection
A house museum based on and around the Johnston Collection of Decorative and Fine Arts. The museum, lecture area and reference library are in three historic houses.
Opening hours, tours and contact details on Johnston Collection web site (email: email@example.com).
See our guidebook entry for the Johnston Collection.
Jones Bond Store
Late 19th century warehouse, significant being a multi-storey warehouse, a development influenced by the introduction of hydraulic lift in the mid 1880s.
1 Riverside Quay Southbank, Melbourne
La Trobe's Cottage (1839)
Home of Victoria's first Lieutenant Governor Charles La Trobe, still containing some of its original furnishings
Opening hours and contact details on Park Victoria web site.
Melbourne Town Hall (1850-1870)
Features of the Town Hall include the Prince Alfred clock tower, added in 1869 and the portico added in the 1880s. Features include the Town Hall Auditorium, the Town Hall Organ, and the Town Hall Clock.
Cnr Swanston & Collins Sts, Melbourne, Victoria
Menzies at the Rialto
Originally the Melbourne Wool exchange (1891) the Winfield building today exists only as a facade. The hotel was originally offices and warehouses designed by William Pitt in 1890-1. A cobbled laneway is incorporated into the design of the interior.
495 Collins St
Old Melbourne Gaol
Victoria's oldest surviving penal establishment. Displays include death masks and other artifacts from 19th century gaol life. Night tours by candlelight. When constructed, it was considered one of the most advanced prisons in the world.
Opening Hours and contact details see web site
Old Royal Mint
Constructed in the early 1870s this is now the home of the Hellenic Museum.
Old Treasury Building - The Melbourne Exhibition (1857-62)
History of Melbourne from pre-European times towards the future. The Old Treasury Building hosts the original gold vaults where gold bullion was stored during the gold rush era, as well as rare and historic documents from Public Record Office Victoria highlighting key moments from Victoria's history.
Parliament House and Parliament Gardens
From 1901 until 1927 these buildings were used by the Australian Federal Government. They are now the seat of the Victorian State Government. Started in 1856, the construction halted in 1930 without building the original dome. Designed by Peter Kerr and J.G. Knight.
Click on thumbnail for larger image
Polly Woodside Maritime Museum
Restored iron barque Polly Woodside afloat and an onshore museum in historic 1930s cargo sheds.
Princess theatre (1886)
The present building, designed by William Pitt and built in 1886 replaced an existing theatre. The interior was remodelled in 1922 by architect Henry White and restored in 1989. Audience members in the (high) cheap seats twist their way up spiralling staircases that seem to go forever.
Click on thumbnail for larger image.
Royal Exhibition Building (1880)
Set in the Carlton Gardens, this building was constructed for the International Exhibition. It is still used for exhibitions although it has been superceded as a venue by the new Melbourne Exhibition Centre.
The Melbourne Central Shopping Complex was built around the old shot tower.
State Library of Victoria (1853-6)
Beautiful old library loaded with atmosphere. Features include the domed reading room constructed in 1913. The footpath outside is enlivened by a wonderful statue of a architectural fragment.
Tasma Terrace (1878 - 1887)
Six terrace house designed by Charles Webb, they feature decorative plaster and cast iron, typical of Boom style terrace housing. The National Trust offices are now located here.
Welsh Church (1871)
Gothic Revival Calvinist church.
111 Spring St, Melbourne
Young and Jackson's (1853)
Originally four stone stores. In 1908 Henry F. Young purchased the nude painting Chloe, which can be seen upstairs and is a part of Melbourne's history.
Cnr Swanston & Flinders Sts